Wednesday, July 18, 2012

30 Things: #7 Dream Job

#7 What is your dream job and why?

Well, I don't really have one dream job. One of my dream jobs was to be a teacher! I wanted to be an elementary teacher or a gifted and talented teacher. Well, elementary teacher didn't happen because there was no shortage of candidates and gifted and talented required a masters- so I got in with special education. I love my kids and the teachers I work with and the majority of days of my job. Sometimes I feel stressed or overwhelmed, but I absolutely love this job. I wanted to be a teacher because my first grade teacher and fifth grade teachers changed my life. They were a safe place and support for me. They believed in me and showed me that I could do things and gave me praise when I was missing it at home. I wanted to do the same and I knew that I could relate to the lives of the children I would get.



My other dream job was to be an artist because I love to draw. Or to be an author because I used to write novels and short stories starting in third grade. I have notebooks I filled with handwritten stories. There are a large sum of poems that I have written as well. I love writing and drawing. My real DREAM job that probably won't ever happen is to own my own little shop/boutique like place to sell things I create. Poems, books, art, things like what I have in my etsy shop. I don't have the slightest idea how to go about starting there and I really like stability which I feel like I have with my Special Education position.



This will be my 8th year teaching and supporting students with special needs in the elementary setting. Sometimes I really want to have my own class. I want to teach my own lessons and have my own group of kiddos all day. Right now I go into classrooms and pull my kiddos aside for small reading groups, or sometimes pull them to my room to teach them math in a smaller group and with different strategies. Other times for writing or those students who are not that far behind, I just go in the classroom and float around to them to help them out and check in with how they are doing. I think about my future and one day transferring to a gifted and talented classroom, but honestly I don't know if I can or will. In my eighth year I have sadly been around in the district for longer than the majority of the other special education teachers. I know that others do not do everything down to the detail as I do and I worry that someone else wouldn't work as hard for my kiddos or develop the relationship with them and their families that I have. I can't leave these guys or their parents and at this point, with covering the entire school I will have them year after year and our relationships will never end! So... I have a lot of ideas, but I think I've really snatched up my dream job already. :)



Check out this site for more "Hey Girl- Teacher" edition eye candy:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing the love! :)

Popular Posts