Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Handkerchief to Scarf Tutorial

Here's another awesome flea market find:

$4.99 for four pink Shabby Chic handkerchiefs!
Bold

I decided they were screaming: PLEASE! PLEASE! Make us into a beautiful scarf! (Later decided they could have made some awesome curtains, but too late :) )
First: I cut these bad boys in half. I only used three of the four because I wanted one left over in it's original Shabby Chic-ness!

Second: I ironed each one and pressed over a seam of about 1/4 inch on the raw edge that did not have embroidery and had been the center of the handkerchief.

I don't know about you, but I'm a little anti-sew! If there's an easier way- I'm taking it! So I just used some Fabri-Tac to glue down the new seam. If you haven't tried this stuff it's $9.99 a bottle at Joann's and super awesome. I've had mine since high school (nine years ago!).


I ended up not liking the unfinished look and was worried the edge would fray that I had glued down so I bought some frilly ribbon from Hobby Lobby and glued it over the edges with the Fabri-Tac as well. I later realized it was elastic and if I wasn't lazy this could have been a beautiful scrunch scarf.

But, here's my lovely finished product anyway (ignore the mess in the background!)


Linking once again to
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing the love! :)

Popular Posts